What's new in English Language Arts?
The English Department is continuing to focus on the Arizona Career and College Readiness Standards.
What does this look like?
Students will be:
● Reading a variety of fiction and non-fiction
● Paying attention to text complexity and Lexile scores
● Citing textual evidence
● Reading independently and responding to assigned prompts
● Listening to arguments and distinguishing validity
● Writing in a variety of genres at all grade levels
● Developing critical thinking skills through questioning
● Creating a variety of technology-based products
● Expanding their learning through Deep Learning Proficiencies (Critical Thinking and Problem Solving, Collaboration, Creativity and Innovation, Systems Thinking, Communication)
Friendly reminders from the English Department:
● Check StudentVue and be responsible for missing work
● Read and write daily
● Check teacher websites
● Monitor and follow through on goals which have been set for 3rd quarter
For 6th grade:
● What is a thesis statement and why is it important?
● What does the PIE acronym stand for when writing an essay?
● How do the events of the past influence our world today?
For 7th grade:
● How can poetry help us express our ideas and emotions?
● What goes into a well-constructed paragraph?
● What does it mean to construct support?
For 8th grade:
● How can you use systems thinking to analyze a story?
● What are the elements of an effective presentation?
● How is textual evidence used to support an analysis?